Valentine’s Day has just passed, and while it is celebrated across the world as a day for couples to show their unconditional love for each other, it most definitely is not the only time that you should be saying ‘I love you’. A critical part of any healthy relationship is to show your love for each other on a regular basis. In this post, I talk about my top 5 ways to say ‘I Love You’ to your special someone without actually saying it.
1. Let them know they’re on your mind. Whether you are living together or not, finding time to spend with your loved one can be quite the task. A quick and easy solution is to simply let your partner know that they’re on your mind, even if you’re not together at the moment. If you live apart, nothing feels better than waking up to a good morning text from your significant other. If you live together, send a text or call during the middle of the day to let them know you’re thinking of them and can’t wait to see them later that night. What’s really important here is to make sure that this gesture is intentional, and not done out of habit or obligation. If you text your partner everyday to say good morning out of habit or because you feel that you have to, it loses the special meaning behind it. However, if you make an effort each day to intentionally send at least one text when they are truly on your mind, whether that be as you get to work in the morning, in the middle of a boring meeting when you’d rather be with them, or when you’re headed to bed, this simple gesture will carry a lot more weight.
2. Plan a special date. If your schedules have been hectic for the last few weeks and spending time together has seemed non-existent, consider planning a special date for just the two of you. While spending time together is always satisfying no matter who is around, sometimes you just need a little time alone to make up for the missed time. This could be a dinner reservation at their favourite restaurant, getting tickets to their favourite team’s game, or even planning something that you guys haven’t tried before. If you’re feeling particularly adventurous, plan an entire day of events on their day off for just the two of you. Whatever you decide, the fact that you cared enough to plan something special for the two of you goes a long way in showing that you love them.
3. Pamper them. Let’s be honest with ourselves, we all love being pampered. And while I’m not suggesting that you spoil your partner by pampering them on a daily basis, a little pampering at the right time can be exactly what they need to know you care. If they’ve had a long day at school or work, give them a massage while you watch TV in the evening. Or if they’re feeling a little under the weather, make them breakfast in bed to show that you care how they’re feeling and want to help make it better in any way you can. Sometimes, a little pampering without a reason is even sweeter. Keep in mind though, similar to #1, this gesture has the biggest impact when it is done out of love and intention, rather than out of obligation.
4. Surprise them. It’s very easy for couples, especially those that live together, to fall into a steady day-to-day routine that may or may not include special time for the two of you. One of the best ways to shake up the day-to-day routine and show your love is to surprise your partner with something they’ll love. This can be as simple as a bouquet of their favourite flowers, a gift from their favourite store, or something more extravagant like a weekend getaway for the two of you. The key to this is only doing it once every few months, when they least expect it. If it becomes something regular or done out of habit, it loses the special feeling of being surprised. Either way, a special surprise when they least expect it is a sure-fire way to make them feel loved.
5. Do the little things. The little things are sometimes the biggest things, and are one of the best ways to show how much you love your special someone. Doing things like showing up to their house with their favourite Starbucks order in hand, taking your clothes out the night before so you don’t wake them in the morning, or playing their favourite song as they get into the car are all great ways to give them a daily reminder that you love them. Although these gestures may seem small and insignificant, the fact that you’ve put thought into doing something to either make them happy or not disturb them or make things easier for them goes a very long way in showing how much you love your partner. However, as I’ve said before, the best way to show you love them is to do these little things intentionally out of love, not because it has become a habit.
So there you have it, my top 5 ways to say I Love You without actually saying those 3 little words. Start by trying out a few of these in your relationship and let me know how it goes in the comments down below. Also let me know what other unique ways you have to say I love you to your special someone!