We are living in some crazy times right now. With the COVID-19 global pandemic currently happening across the world, we are in the era of social distancing which for most of us means that we are stuck at home all day every day until this blows over. I know many people are stressed and anxious (with good reason!), but there are also so many of us that are just overwhelmed with the idea of being stuck inside all day with nothing to do, ESPECIALLY when there are kiddos involved. I’ll admit I am both stressed and overwhelmed – mostly because I’ve been on maternity leave for 5 months already and really look forward to getting outside and running errands each week. Being stuck inside for the last two weeks is no bueno for me. BUT I’ve decided that I need to just embrace this time at home with Mia (and Shawn on his days off) and truly make the most of it, as I’m encouraging all of you to do as well. The universe is kind of forcing us to take a step back, relax, and spend intentional time with our *immediate* families, so let’s make the most of this time and create special memories with our loved ones. In today’s post I’m sharing 20 ways to keep yourself busy while stuck at home.
1. Catch up on some Zzzz’s – seriously, sleep in!
2. Binge watch your favourite TV shows or catch up on the latest movies (if you have kiddos, Disney+ is a MUST)
3. Do spring cleaning – you know that pantry that you keep saying you’ll clean but never get around to doing it, now’s the time.
4. Read, read, read!
5. Get creative and do some crafts (this is great for kiddos but just as fun for adults). If you need supplies, order them from Amazon or a craft store.
6. Build a fort in the living room and have a fun twist on movie night.
7. Bake some sweet treats to enjoy.
8. Spend time journaling – no better time to start than now.
9. Get outside in the backyard and enjoy the sunshine. Bonus points if you have a blow-up pool!
10. Learn something new – a new recipe, a new language, a new subject. The internet is full of great resources.
11. Create an at-home spa night – paint your nails, do a facial, and soak in the tub.
12. Exercise! Find an instructional video on YouTube and follow it, I’ve also seen kids yoga videos that would be great to do together as a family.
13. Do a scavenger hunt around the house – this would be so fun for kiddos!
14. Start a new hobby – you know the one that you’ve never had the time to start before now?
15. Have a virtual party with your friends and/or family. Use apps like FaceTime, WhatsApp, or Zoom to connect virtually and enjoy time together while still physically apart.
16. Do some colouring – it’s so calming and relaxing and simply fun!
17. Have a games night and let out your competitive spirit.
18. Start an at-home garden. Right now is the PERFECT time to start planting seeds for summer plants and flowers.
19. Work on a puzzle. Clear off the dining table and get the entire family in on it.
20. Take some time for a little (or a lot of) self-care – seriously, do it!
This era of social distancing can be overwhelming at best and a little bit stressful since we don’t really know how long this will last. BUT, we can choose to embrace this time at home and make the most of every single day. Let’s count our blessings, find the positives in each day, and be intentional with how we spend our time.