Spring is finally upon us, and if you’re like me, then you probably love going out for a good old fashioned date night! We tend to get so caught up in school, work, and technology, that we forget how good it feels to leave the stress of everyday life behind us and just enjoy a day with the ones we love. However, as fun as they can be, between the costs of dinner, drinks, and tickets to the movies, the typical date night can be quite the cost!
Today we’re thinking outside the box and looking at unique date ideas (night or day) that go beyond the typical dinner and a movie, and are also easy on the wallet. Keep reading below to see my Top 10 Cheap Date Ideas for the Spring & Summer!
Since we only get a few months of really great weather in the year, I love taking advantage of this time and planning dates outdoors, as opposed to staying in all the time. These are my favourite 10 date ideas for the spring and summer, that take full advantage of the warmer weather.
1. Go on a hike – Find a local trail, pack some bug spray, and head out on a hike for the afternoon. It’s a great way to spend time together while getting in some exercise. If you’re lucky, you may even be able to catch a beautiful view of the sunset.
2. Hit the beach – If you’re lucky enough to live near a lake or beach, take full advantage of it in the summer! There are so many ways to enjoy the beach – have a barbecue, pack a picnic, go swimming, play some games, or just lay on the docks tanning. Whatever you choose to do while you’re there, you’re guaranteed a day full of fun memories.
3. Check out a baseball game – I know what you’re about to say – professional sporting events these days are not cheap! While you may get lucky and score some cheap tickets, the added costs of food and/or drinks adds up quickly. Instead, why not head to a baseball game for one of the local leagues in your area. There is no fee, you can bring your own snacks, and it’s a great way to support the local youth!
4. Take a bike ride through town – This is a fun way to explore areas of the city that you’ve never seen before while getting in a great workout. Start riding and see where you end up, or pick certain areas that you want to explore and head out on an adventure together!
5. Spend a night stargazing – Grab some blankets, pack a picnic, and head out to a nearby field to spend the night laying on blankets and staring up at the skies. See which one of you can point out the most constellations, or try to form your own shapes/images from the stars above.
6. Grab some ice cream – Although this may seem super simple, it is one of my favourite things to do in the summer. Go for a walk to your local ice cream shop for a refreshing cold treat. You can make it fun by picking new flavours for each other to try each time you go.
7. Go fruit picking – Look up the local farms around the city and see what fruits they offer for self-picking and when. This is such a fun date idea, because not only can you spend an afternoon picking out the sweetest strawberries, but you can head home and make a pie with them afterwards! Best of both worlds.
8. Head to a carnival – In the summer, there are usually a ton of local carnivals around. Figure out which ones are near you, and awaken your inner-child by spending the day riding your favourite rides and playing games to win your favourite stuffed animal!
9. Do some outdoor activities – There are so many outdoor activities to do during the summer, but two of my favourites include going to the park and playing frisbee or having my fiancé teach me a proper jump shot, or doing activities such as outdoor mini-golf. These are great ways to bond with each other while doing something really fun at the same time.
10. Go to an outdoor movie – This is definitely on my to-do list this summer. I have always wanted to go to a drive-in movie, but they are becoming less and less common to find. However, movies in the park are becoming more and more popular and are a great alternative! Rather than staying in all night watching a movie, why not enjoy one on a huge screen in the park under the stars.
This spring and summer, take your date outdoors to enjoy the warmer weather with one of these cheap date ideas. Let me know down below what your favourite date ideas for the spring/summer are!